Forum Discussion

Feedback on Approach to Literary Theory

Feedback on Approach to Literary Theory

by Abdul Mukit Shafat -
Number of replies: 1

Throughout the introductory lesson, I have learned basic concept of literature and literary theory and characteristics of them and its outcomes as well as. I have learnt the definition of theory and literary theory. And I came to know about some theories related to literature.

Here, I am writing about 5 literary theories

1.       Liberal humanism proposes that the subject is the free, unconstrained author of meaning and action, the origin of history. Unified, knowing, and autonomous, the human being seeks a political system which guarantees freedom of choice.

2.       Formalism is a school of literary criticism and literary theory having mainly to do with structural purposes of a particular text. It is the study of a text without taking into account any outside influence.

3.       New Criticism was a formalist movement in literary theory that dominated American literary criticism in the middle decades of the 20th century. It emphasized close reading, particularly of poetry, to discover how a work of literature functioned as a self-contained, self-referential aesthetic object.

4.       structuralism is a general theory of culture and methodology that implies that elements of human culture must be understood by way of their relationship to a broader system.

5.       Post-structuralism is a term for philosophical, theoretical and literary forms of theory that both build upon and reject ideas established by structuralism, the intellectual project that preceded it.

227 words