Forum Discussion

Feedback on the definition and characteristics of 5 important literary theories.

Feedback on the definition and characteristics of 5 important literary theories.

by Zarin Tashnim -
Number of replies: 1

Since the introductory class of Literary theory, I have been learning more and more about literary theories.
These are some theories that I have learned from my previous classes.
1. Liberal Humanism :
*Defines that modern literary theory to do approach in literary texts. Every literary theory has its origin and its inters-irrelativeness with other theories.
* It is based on the nature of man and its defects in society. Its main focus on literature and the study of man is the specialty of liberal humanism.
* Identifies good literature as timeless significant.

2. New Criticisms :
*The method of New Criticism focuses on a close reading of rhythm, meter, theme, imagery, metaphor, etc
*Intentional fallacy, the term used in 20th-century literary criticism to describe the problem inherent in trying to judge a work of art by assuming the intent or purpose of the artist who created it.
*Affective fallacy is a term from literary criticism used to refer to the supposed error of judging or evaluating a text on the basis of its emotional effects on a reader.

3. Russian Formalism :
*Establish the specificity and autonomy of poetic language and literature
*Emphasis on the functional role of literary devices and its original conception of literary history.
* Exclusion of traditional psychological and cultural-historical approaches

4. Structuralism :
*Text can not be understood in isolation
*Analyse a text in terms of the larger context
*Interpret literature with underlying meanings.

5.Post Structuralism :
* Rejection of the self-sufficiency of structuralism,
* Argues that to understand a text, one must study both the object itself and the systems of knowledge that produced the object
* Utilizes analytical concepts from linguistics, psychology, and anthropology.

Zarin Tashnim
Id No: 191-10-2026
46C

275 words

In reply to Zarin Tashnim

Re: Feedback on the definition and characteristics of 5 important literary theories.

by Subrata Chandra Mozumder -
Excellent work, Zarin. Liked it very much.

7 words