Forum Discussion

Feedback on Approach to Literary Theory

Feedback on Approach to Literary Theory

by Chandrima Sutradhar -
Number of replies: 1

Throughout the introductory lesson i  learn a very important lesson and i also enjoy it. Well in our class we read a lot of theories but now I am going to tell about 5 theories

1.Liberal humanism proposes that the subject is the free, unconstrained author of meaning and action, the origin of history. Unified, knowing, and autonomous, the human being seeks a political system which guarantees freedom of choice.

2.Formalism is a school of literary criticism and literary theory having mainly to do with structural purposes of a particular text. It is the study of a text without taking into account any outside influence.

3.New Criticism was a formalist movement in literary theory that dominated American literary criticism in the middle decades of the 20th century. It emphasized close reading, particularly of poetry, to discover how a work of literature functioned as a self-contained, self-referential aesthetic object.

4.structuralism is a general theory of culture and methodology that implies that elements of human culture must be understood by way of their relationship to a broader system.

179 words